When you drive a minivan, you can travel in a group or with your family as there are plenty of seats in a minivan. Going out for a journey with friends and family is the most pleasurable thing to do and this is one of the best means of recreation during an off day. The pleasure gets on another level when you take your exploration into the deep mountains or forests riding your bikes with your friends or family members. Therefore, you need some type of medium for your minivan to carry your bikes safely when you take a tour. There are many types of bike racks that will suit your minivan. But you need an excellent bike rack for your minivan with adequate features because the wrong bike rack can ruin your desired bike tour that you have been planning to make for quite a long time.
In this article, we will present to you some of the best bike racks that you can buy for your minivan and can help you to get rid of your confusion for buying the proper bike rack. It took us indefatigable effort and research to find out the best bike racks for a minivan. So don’t just scan this post with your eye-balls, rather take your time and read the whole post with proper attention.
Things to Consider for Choosing a Rack for Your Minivan
Many people are searching for a suitable bike rack for their minivans. Hence there are a lot of different racks available in the market that can be mounted on a minivan. Actually, when making a bike rack, manufacturers keep the vehicle’s shape in mind. So different types of racks fit different types of vehicles. When you are going to buy a rack for your minivan always try to consider the following facts –
What Type of Rack Do You Need for Your Minivan?
You need to decide what type of rack you are really looking for your minivan. There are three major types of bike racks that suit most of the vehicles. They are the –
(i) Trunk/Hatch Mount Bike Rack
(ii) Hitch Mount Bike Rack
(iii) Roof Mount Bike Rack
We are going to discuss these three types of racks and check which type suits best for a minivan.
(i) Trunk/Hatch Mount Bike Rack:
In general, these types of bike racks are the cheapest option for your minivan. This type of rack mounts on the rear hatch or trunk and they include straps that make them tight enough to adjust to your minivan. These racks can carry a maximum of 2 – 3 bikes and they usually do not include any locking mechanism. While such a type of rack is installed you will barely be able to open the rear hatch or trunk. They are relatively easy to carry around and easy to install and uninstall. Generally, this type of bike rack is the simplest option for most people which makes this rack a common choice among general people.
(ii) Hitch Mount Bike Rack:
These types of racks are capable of carrying the most number of bikes than the other two types of bike racks. They can be a better alternative than the other two types as these bike-racks are mounted on the hitch of your car keeping your bikes considerably far from your vehicle with a sufficient locking system. However, these racks can be used for mounting on tow-bars and they can feature an option for extra space for cargo platforms, so you also need to keep these matters in mind for buying a hitch mount bike rack. These racks are heavier than most types of bike racks. There are two types of hitch mount bike racks depending on the mounting positions of the bikes. The two types of hitch mount bike-racks are –
(a) Hang Style Hitch Mount Bike Rack –
These types of hitch mount bike racks hold your bikes by hanging them onto their frames. They include rubber cradles that hang the bikes. The holding arms can be folded when the rack is not in use and sometimes they may show tilting features. They may not be stable as the platform or tray-style bike mount rack.
(b) Platform/Tray Style Hitch Mount Bike Rack –
These types of hitch mount bike racks connect to the hitch adapter and they include a tray or platform to level the bikes above the ground, keep them safe from the car’s exhaust pipe and maintain a balance between the rear wheels of the car. This type of rack promotes adequate locking materials and they support tilting or folding options so that you can have easy access to your rear hatch or trunk.
(c) Vertical Style Hitch Mount Bike Rack –
These types of hitch mount bike racks hold your bikes in a vertical way. There is a platform in this type of rack where the front wheels of your bikes rest on it. The rear wheels of your bikes remain tied down with straps. These types of bike racks have the capability to load a maximum of 6 bikes at a time. These racks are the best option for you if you want to carry mountain bikes. But they are not good for carrying kids bikes and road bikes.
Except for the vertical-style hitch mount bike rack, the other two types of bike racks can accommodate vehicles with 1.25” – 2” hitch receivers. Most of the vertical-style hitch mount bike racks support only 2” x 2” hitch receivers. This table below shows significant differences between these three types of hitch mount bike racks –
(iii) Roof Mount Bike Rack:
This type of bike rack perhaps can be the most versatile option than the other two types of bike racks. These types of racks hold a single bike with plenty of strength and solidity. There are remarkably fewer contacts between your bike and your car while your bike is being mounted on this type of rack. Even if the rack may cost comparatively less than usual, you need to spend money on buying roof bars and clamps for installing this type of rack. Your bike will remain steady and secure as it will be clamped to the rack with a fork knob. But you need to remove the front wheel of your bike first. Therefore every time you are carrying your bike on this type of rack, you need to remove and attach the front wheel of your bike which can be tedious for many people.
This type of rack is able to accommodate only one bike at a time. So these racks are not great for carrying multiple bikes at the same time. But if you are not bothered by this fact then this rack guarantees the most secure and safe transportation of your bike. However, you can mount two roof racks for carrying multiple bicycles if there is enough space on your vehicle’s roof. But be careful, your bikes may hit tree branches which can damage them significantly.
Here is a comparison table among these three types of popular bike racks –
How Many Bikes Are You Willing to Carry?
Are you an avid cyclist who likes to travel by his bike alone to explore the outdoor life enjoying the never-ending freedom? Or you are much of a family guy who likes to go out with his family members or in a group during recreational periods? The estimated numbers of bikes that you want to carry depend entirely on you and your criteria. If you want to carry a single bike because most of the time you travel alone, then go for a roof-mount bike rack. A roof mount bike rack keeps your bike firm and steady as well as locks your bike’s position securely. This type of rack shows outstanding performance while you are covering a long distance carrying your bikes. Hence, they are not able to carry multiple bikes.
So if you want a rack that can carry multiple bikes at the same time, then you should go for a hitch-mount bike rack. Hitch mount bike racks are great for transporting a large number of bikes, especially when you are driving a minivan or a similar type of vehicle. Rather than going for a hanging style hitch mount bike rack, it is better to go for a platform-style hitch mount bike rack because there are risks for your bikes when they are mounted on a hanging style hitch mount bike rack. So what are the risks? The major risk for mounting your bikes on a hitch mount bike rack is – they can swing while crossing a bumpy road and for that, they can collide with each other which can damage your car as well as your bike’s fame.
On the other hand, tray or platform style hitch mount bike racks keep your bikes above the ground not touching your bike’s frame. These racks hold your bikes to their wheels. So there is no chance for your bikes to get any scratch. Moreover, holding your bikes above the ground by a platform or tray maintains a balance on the rear wheels of your car.
If you do not have a minivan or a similar type of vehicle and a reasonable number of bikes, then a trunk mount bike rack can be a good alternative for you as there is less hassle to mount these types of racks and they are easy to carry anywhere.
How Much Are You Willing to Spend on Your Bike Rack?
The type of bike rack depends on the available funding that you have. Are you looking for a bike rack from a reputed company? Are you looking for a rack with sufficient locking features? Then, you should consider spending a big amount of money. Actually the price of a rack also depends on its type. Trunk or hatch mount bike racks are usually cost less and they are the most appropriate option for you when you are under a limited budget. Again these types of racks are fitted mostly on sedan or hatchback type vehicles. So buying a trunk mount rack won’t be convenient for you when you are driving a minivan. Furthermore, depending on reputed brands this type of rack can come with a price.
So you need to buy either a hitch mount or roof mount bike rack for your minivan. But we are not saying that you can not buy a trunk or hatch mount bike rack for your minivan since most of the time they are not just suited for a minivan. You don’t want a rack that breaks under a little pressure and you don’t want to buy the same type of rack again and again. This will waste a lot of your money and eventually your dream to go out with your bike for touring, commuting will be extinguished. So take your time, get some recommendations and save up a reasonable amount of money to buy a proper rack so that you won’t regret your purchase in the future.
Find Out How Easy to Use the Bike Rack?
Before you buy a bike rack, no matter what type it is; first you need to make sure that it is user-friendly. If the installation process of the rack is confusing, takes a lot of arrangements to set up the rack, requires special tools to mount, loading and unloading of the bikes are difficult – then you should probably avoid such a type of rack.
Usually, roof mount and fork-mount bike racks are considerably hard to install. The mounting process of your bike on these types of racks is also very difficult. Then again, hitch or trunk mount bike racks have a comparatively easier installation process. But trunk mount bike racks block your vehicle’s trunk access and some hitch mount bike racks don’t feature tilting or folding option which makes it difficult to access the rear hatch of your vehicle. Roof mount bike racks keep other parts of your vehicle free and you can easily access your car’s trunk or rear hatch.
Our Top Pick(s)
Among all the bike racks that we have tested and reviewed, we consider Saris Superclamp EX 2-Bike Rack with Cargo as our number one choice. Other bike racks are also some of the best bike racks for your minivan. So which one should you buy? Read the entire post to find out the answer.
The Saris Superclamp EX 2-Bike Rack with Cargo is a hitch mount bike racks that have a cargo tray if you want to carry your bikes along with your bike tools. Up to 50” wheelbase supports this rack, which makes it able to handle a wide variety of bikes. There are two shepherd’s hooks that keep your bike stable in place by holding both tires of your bike. The tray has a universal design to accommodate tires up to 4 inches. And there is a cargo tray for holding a cargo that makes it easier for you to carry any bike tools or other things with you when you go out for commuting.
- No. of Bike Load Capacity: 2
- Dimensions (inch): Rack – 49.5 x 15.5 x 11/
Cargo Platform Area – 48 x 18
- Weight Capacity: 35 + 35 = 70 lbs + 120 lbs (cargo)
A quick view of our selected bike racks that are the best ones for the Minivans:
|Bike Rack||Rack Type|
|Saris Superclamp EX 2 + Cargo||Hitch Mount (Platform-Style)|
|Küat Sherpa 2.0||Hitch Mount (Tray-Style)|
|SeaSucker Talon||Fork-Mount (Vacuum)|
|RockBros Suction Cup Bike Rack||Fork-Mount (Vacuum)|
|Yakima HighRoad||Roof-Top Mount (Wheel-On)|
|Saris Freedom||Hitch Mount (Tray-Style)|
|Overdrive Sport 2-Bike Hitch Rack||Hitch Mount (Tray-Style)|
|Hollywood Racks T970||Fork-Mount (Inside Rack)|
|Yakima Hangover||Hitch Mount (Vertical-Style)|
9 Best Bike Racks You can Buy Today for Your Minivan
If you don’t have extra time to spare for reading the full article, then take a look at this comparison table to get a basic idea about all of these racks quickly.
1. Saris Superclamp EX 2 rack
Bike Rack with the Cargo Option
- Type: Hitch Mount (Platform-Style)
- No. of Bike Load Capacity: 2
- Rack Weight: Rack (36 lbs) + Cargo Carrier = 80 lbs
- Dimensions (inch): Rack – 49.5 x 15.5 x 11
/ Cargo Platform Area – 48 x 18
- Weight Capacity: 35 + 35 = 70 lbs + 120 lbs (cargo)
- The company says this rack has a burly design that can support a wide range of bikes including which have wheelbases up to 50”.
- SuperClamp Shepherd’s Hooks: There are 2 shepherd’s hooks that hold a bike by the top of both wheels, so it doesn’t scratch the frame of your bike.
- Adjustable arms and platforms create enough space to accommodate a combination of bikes.
- The rack remains secured to the car with a locking hitch pin.
- The bikes remain secure to the rack for the integrated locking cables.
- The tray is universal that will accommodate up to 4” tires.
- Each bike remains secure and stable as this rack has wheel straps for both wheels on your bike.
- Even if the rack is fully loaded with bikes, it will give you rear access by tilting away.
- This rack has an additional feature for carrying cargo, but tie-down straps are not included.
- Has gone through extreme tests to prove its versatility.
- Enhance the visibility of your car during the night with its external reflectors.
- Ensures safe transport in all situations with its raised side rails and tie-down points.
- A limited lifetime warranty will be provided for all Saris racks.
- The push lever may shear off and you won’t be able to lift up the rack.
- When this rack is mounted with your bikes, the overall weight of your vehicle will rise to a great extent.
- While the rack is loaded with bikes, the hitch base plate may show excessive movements.
- The hitch locking pin may totter like crazy if it isn’t tightened with a wrench properly.
- Locking cables can be too short for some bikes to fit.
The Saris Superclamp EX 2-Bike Rack + Cargo is a complete package when you are planning to transport bikes with your crew with considerably a large number of gears. This rack can be a tall order keeping your bikes along with a cargo platform significantly far from the car’s body, even if you drive the largest truck, SUV or minivan.
This rack works bike rack and as a bonus, you are also getting the facilities of a rugged cargo tray. You will utilize all the great features of the popular SuperClamp EX 2-bike rack such as – no frame contact between your bike and the car, integrated locking system both for your bikes and the rack, Shepherd’s ratcheting hooks, etc. At the same time, you are getting a solid platform that gives you all the attributes you need for carrying any tools along with your bikes. This vigorous cargo tray has tie-down points to properly secure your gears, so this rack actually allows you to bring your bikes along with your biking accessories.
‘Saris’ leaves no stone unturned to provide solutions for any bike-related problems and they are trying their heart and soul to improve the overall cycling experience. This rack has a different weight load capacity for itself and for the cargo tray. The rack itself can carry a maximum weight of 70 lbs where each bike weighs 35 lbs. The tray is able to handle 120 lbs of cargo.
2. Küat Sherpa 2.0 rack
Lightweight, user friendly, and more secure
- Type: Hitch Mount (Tray-Style)
- No. of Bike Load Capacity: 2
- Rack Weight (lbs.): 32
- Dimensions (inch): 45 x 15 x 12
- Weight Capacity: 40 + 40 = 80 lbs
- You can access the rack, even when your hands are full just by tapping the access point with your foot on the rack for its foot assisted pivot system.
- A renewed design rack with the lighter Aluminum finish.
- Easy fitting of the ratchet arms to the front tires of your bikes can be done with one hand which makes sure there is no wobble.
- This can accommodate both 2” and 1.25” hitch receivers.
- Flexible cradles can be folded up and down for maximum ground clearance and it will always give minivan an aesthetic look.
- This rack will secure your bikes all the time with an external cable that features a semi-integrated locking mechanism.
- Bikes with wheelbases up to 47 inches and tires up to 3 inches can be fitted on this rack.
- The hand tight hitch cam allows the rack to have a close-fitting with your vehicle.
- With its tilting feature, you can get rid of the hassle for opening the rear hatch.
- Premium glossy finish with metallic powder coating.
- The co-molded straps hold your rear bike tires tight enough ensuring overall protection of your bike.
- This rack comes in three different ablaze colors to suit your vehicle.
- There is no need for any extra equipment to install this rack and the installation process is quite easy.
- No Worries Warranty: Register your product and submit your claim to get a lifetime warranty.
- There are objections that the main threaded rod is very hard to insert in the rack because it is not carved properly.
- The bolts are hard to insert in the holes that mount the rack as they are misaligned.
- You may want to keep an additional lock for your bikes as the locking mechanism may not satisfy you.
- This rack is not as durable as the Sherpa 1.0.
The Küat Sherpa 2.0 shows exceptional performance for transporting your bikes, especially when you are driving a minivan. Despite being a platform-style hitch-mount rack, this shows remarkable attributes than most other platform-style racks. For example – most of the platform-style racks are quite heavy in general, but this rack is comparatively lighter for its Aluminum construction. This rack will enhance the beauty of your car a little bit more as you are able to choose from 3 radiant colorful versions (Gray/Orange, Black Metallic/Gray, and Pearl Metallic/Silver) of this rack that goes with your vehicle. This rack will never lose its color as this rack has a premium powder coat finish.
Küat initiated a program which is called the Future Forest Initiative with the cooperation of the National Forest Foundation. This program has been helping till now by planting over 352,875 trees, mostly in fire-damaged national forests within the US. Therefore, all products from Küat including racks and other accessories symbolize the effort of the Küat team with a sticker of Future Forest Initiative.
In Nepal, ‘SHERPA’ means something that is strong and agile enough to carry anything and there is no doubt that this name is perfect for this rack. However, the company still needs to consider some of the drawbacks of this rack such as this rack is the 2.0 version, yet it is not as durable as version 1.0 and the company should give more focus to make the bolt mounting holes in proper alignment. Again, some complaint that – this rack won’t fit a Hyundai Santa Fe or Santa Fe Sport.
3. SeaSucker Talon rack
Zero damage rack for all kind of vehicles
- Type: Fork-Mount (Vacuum)
- No. of Bike Load Capacity: 1
- Rack Weight (lbs.): 6
- Dimensions (inch): 15 x 13
- Weight Capacity: 45 lbs
- This is able to adjust any car for its vacuum suction cups.
- You can carry this rack anywhere as it is almost 3 times lighter than any hitch mount racks.
- This rack holds your bikes through the wheel and fork so there is no contact between your car and bike frame.
- The HUSKE universal fork mounts allow you to install any type of bike.
- The small size and feather lightweight (almost 6 lbs) make this rack very travel-friendly.
- This rack is strong yet light and it is made in the USA.
- The 22” strap at the rear wheel cup keeps your bike close-bodied with the car.
- The body of the rack is built with high-density polyethylene (HDPE) material.
- Up to 210 lbs of weight can be pulled up by the vacuum cups.
- This rack offers not only an easy installation process but also the flexibility to install it anywhere in your car.
- This rack will become somehow fuel-efficient for your vehicle.
- This rack comes with a spare vacuum pump, crack arm strap and a lube tube (5 gm).
- You will get a 2-year SeaSucker warranty.
- The common problem that you might face using this rack is – the vacuum cups lose their pulling strengths gradually.
- This rack is also a fork-mount rack, so you have to remove the front wheel of your bike if you want to mount it.
- It occupies a great amount of space in your vehicle as you need to keep the front bike tire somewhere which was removed.
- Sometimes the suction pads can damage the paint of your car’s surface permanently.
- This rack has no proper locking mechanism, so your bike has a risk of getting robbed.
- One rack is able to carry only one bike.
Any car, any place, any time – that is the one rule that the SeaSucker Talon pursues. The 2019 model of this rack offers upgraded HUSKE mounts that are universal and fit any bike. Also, this version comes with a quick-release skewer and some 9 mm plugs. This rack became the best seller of ‘SeaSucker’ and it is one of the best racks that will suit any type of vehicle like SUV, sedan, hatchback, minivan, coupé, and even a sports car.
This rack has proved to be one of the versatile and light racks as this rack has gone through some of the toughest races and most exhausting physical courses. This rack has a reputation for carrying bicycles for the pro cycling teams around the world which is worth more than $250,000. This rack achieved an official license from the UCI (Union Cycliste Internationale).
The SeaSucker Talon has an outstanding weight load capacity of 45 lbs. As a result, you don’t have to worry during the transportation of a heavy bike because this rack will provide the ultimate safety and security. If you don’t really bother for an invulnerable locking mechanism, then you can trust this rack to do the job for you.
4. RockBros Suction Cup Bike Rack
Quick release rack with sucker
No products found.
If you found fork-mount bike racks with suction cups fascinating, then this RockBros bike rack can be the best option for you when you are under a limited budget. Moreover, this rack comes in three different styles with 1, 2 or 3 bike load capacities. Let us give you some information about these 3 different profiles of this rack –
In general, fork-mount racks with vacuum cups are able to load only one bike, but the ‘RockBros’ has changed this tradition by offering 3 variants of racks with different bike load capacities. And all of these 3 profiles come with 4 different colors – Black, Blue, Red, Green. Therefore, you are getting options for not only the number of bikes that you want to carry but also for colors that match your vehicle the best.
Installation Process for Your Minivan:
1. Clean the roof’s surface of your vehicle and also clean the suction cups to make sure there is no water, dust or sand.
2. Install the bar with front sucker cups in a flat position on the roof’s surface and then confirm the rear cup’s position judging by your bike’s size.
3. There are cylinder shape rods in each suction cups that allow 2 states –
- Unavailable State: When it is not pressed the cups process no pulling strength. This is basically the state where you are not using this rack.
- Security State: When you press the cylinder rod till you can’t see the white line, then the cups process pulling strengths. This state is the state when your bike is loaded on the rack.
4. With the help of the quick release clamp, mount your bike’s fork on the front sucker step.
5. Attach the rear wheel of your bike on the rear cup and fix the pedals using the Velcro strap.
5. Yakima HighRoad rack
Wheel-on mount roof rack
- Type: Roof-Top Mount (Wheel-On)
- No. of Bike Capacity: 1
- Rack Weight (lbs.): 18
- Dimensions (inch): 56 x 9.50 x 4.50
- Weight Capacity: 45 lbs
- TorqueRight Knob: This knob allows you to fit the rack easily and quickly.
- 26 – 29” wheels and 23 mm – 4” tires can be adjusted on the wheel hoop.
- 2 additional SKS locks can be included with the TailWhip cable to provide additional security.
- It is a roof-mount rack but not a fork-mount type, so you don’t have to remove the front wheel of your bike.
- SmarT-Slot Kit: For this feature, you can convert the rack to fit any T-slot crossbars.
- Your bike frame remains scratch-free because there is no contact between your bike and the car.
- For its sleek and low profile, it can limit hatch inferences.
- Any kind of roof will accommodate this rack as the rack promotes universal mounting hardware.
- There are lock loops integrated with this rack so that you can add your own bike lock if you want extra security for your bike.
- This rack will give you a smart and modern look to your minivan.
- Yakima provides lifetime warranties for its racks.
- You are buying this rack for mounting only one bike.
- May not adjust with crossbars that have more than 36” crossbar spread i.e. Hyundai Tucson (2016).
- There are possibilities that your bike may hit a tree branch while mounted on this rack.
- It can scratch your vehicle’s roof surface during installation.
- This rack may not be able to secure your bike’s front tire-bars.
The Yakima Highroad can be the most convenient bike rack for you when you are planning to carry you like to carry your bike on the roof and when you drive a minivan. Although this rack can carry only one bike, we all know that almost all the roof racks are capable of carrying a single bike. When it comes to the quality of services, then this rack surpasses all other roof-mount bike racks. If you like roof-mount racks for your bike, then you should consider buying this rack because this rack can gently transport any expensive bike like carbon fibre bikes and custom paint bikes.
If you find it unfair that you are buying a rack for a single bike, then you should change your mentality. You should first consider the quality, not the quantity. It doesn’t matter how many bikes your rack can carry if it is not durable and poor in quality. Besides you can always install another roof-mount bike rack on your vehicle, especially when you are driving a minivan there will be plenty of space on the roof.
This rack includes the TailWhip cable which allows you to add two additional SKS locks with a single key system. As a consequence, this rack provides additional security for your bike so you can remain tension-free of bike theft. The maximum weight load capacity for this rack is 45 lbs, so you can safely carry any standard bike on this rack. Just make sure that the crossbar spread of your minivan is between 18 to 35”.
6. Saris Freedom 4-Bike Rack
Tray rack with 4 bikes capacity
- Type: Hitch Mount (Tray-Style)
- No. of Bike Capacity: 4
- Rack Weight (lbs.): 53
- Dimensions (inch): 46 x 10
- Weight Capacity: Inner Bike (each): 60 lbs
/ Outer Bike (each): 35 lbs
/ Total: 190 lbs
- This stylish bike rack supports all types of bikes including bikes with fenders, MTBs, eBikes and unicycles.
- Keeps all types of bike frames protective as this rack has cuscino (an Italian word means ‘pillow’) rubber holders.
- Keep your bike stable during the whole tour with its ratcheting straps.
- You can adjust any bike where the wheelbase is up to 48”.
- This versatile bike rack has a unique way for storing bikes – you can store 2 bikes of 60 lbs in the tray which is close to the vehicle and other 2 bikes of 35 lbs in the second tray.
- Foot Pedal Activated Tilt: You can tilt the rack pressing a foot pedal to open the rear hatch.
- It allows you to add wheel holders so that it can support fat-tire bikes.
- Features standard scoops for adjusting tires of maximum 2.25” widths.
- Fold the rack when you are not going to use it.
- Saris offers a limited lifetime warranty for all types of racks.
- Sometimes the rack may fall apart while carrying an e-bike, though the company has advertised this rack to carry them.
- Some of the parts are made out of plastic which may break carrying extra load.
- Some of the screws may come loose that will make certain parts of the rack shaky.
- The clips that hold the wheel cups slide off the support bar, they do not stay in place.
- There are some grievances that even when the cups are fully extended they do not support 48″ wheelbases.
The Saris Freedom 4-Bike rack has twice the capacity for loading bikes than the Saris Freedom 2-Bike version. This rack has the capability of carrying any type of bike including eBikes to unicycles. This rack allows you to spend more time on riding rather than spending time on loading and unloading of bikes as you will get the type of freedom that you have been searching for.
‘Saris’ likes to express its love for bikes in every product that it produces. This rack features patented cuscino pads where ‘cuscino’ is an Italian word that means pillow. The design of these pads was created by Fabio Pedrini. Their proprietary designed pads were made to protect your bikes during transit with great care and love.
‘Saris’ declares that this rack will fit any wheelbase that measures up to 48”. But if your bike has a wheelbase which is longer than 48”, then you need to buy their long wheelbase bar. This product has a maximum axle-to-axle measurement of 57”. This rack has a total weight capacity of 190 lbs and you can put two inner bikes close to the vehicle that weigh 60 lbs each and two outer bikes where each bike should not exceed 35 lbs.
7. Overdrive Sport rack
Fat tire and electric bike compatible
- Type: Hitch Mount (Tray-Style)
- No. of Bike Capacity: 2
- Rack Weight (lbs.): 49
- Dimensions (inch): 33.6 x 21.9 x 10.6
- Weight Capacity: 60 + 60 =120 lbs
- Anti-wobble Mechanism: The patented anti-wobble system eliminates the looseness between the rack and the receiver.
- As there is no slack between the rack and the receiver, so your bikes will remain safe and secure during the whole ride.
- Smart Tilting: By using a lever you can fold up the rack and it enables you to tilt down the rack for easy rear cargo access.
- Spring Button: By pushing a spring button you can fold up the patented design vertical tube left or right.
- 5” wide patented design wheel holders are able to easily fit any bike.
- Your bike will remain in place and the frame won’t get scratched for the soft foam padded locking arms.
- It comes pre-assembled which makes the installation process fairly easy.
- Locking hitch pin secures the rack to the vehicle and the locking knob secures the bike to the rack.
- The tube is furnished with premium powder coating.
- Feel risk-free driving at night as the rack includes a rear reflector that will enhance its visibility.
- You will get a limited lifetime warranty with this product.
- This rack is not recommended for your vehicle if it has a 1.25” hitch adapter.
- Bike shapes with low Y-frames may need an additional Overdrive Bike Frame Adapter that needs to be bought separately.
- Do not use this rack on an RV or 5th wheel camper.
- Problems may arise when you are going to use this rack on a Kia Sedona (2017) van.
- The locking knob may break free, then you need to disassemble your bike to get it out.
- Some parts of this rack are made of plastic that indicates the overall poor construction of this rack.
- The tilting mechanism of this rack is not so functional.
The Overdrive Sport 2-Bike Hitch mount rack will afford you a calm and quiet journey while carrying your bikes. The design includes soft padded arms and wheel holders that will accept tires up to 5” diameter. You will not face any bumps or jolts during the transit of your bikes as there are anti-wobble screws integrated into this rack.
This rack comes pre-assembled that makes the setup process a breeze and you can easily load and unload your bikes for its quick-release system. However, the packaging of this rack is very poor in quality and the reflector for nighttime visibility found to be made of cheap plastic material.
This rack has a great weight load capacity where you can load any bike up to 60 lbs of weight. As a result, the maximum weight load capacity is 120 lbs for 2 bikes. This rack comes in two different versions – the knob version and the ratchet version. Both of these versions are pretty similar in quality and features except the ratchet version doesn’t include any locking knob. We have shown the features on the knob version of this rack as we believe it is more secure than the ratchet version.
8. Hollywood Racks T970 rack
Fork-mount rack for mounting inside a van or truck bed
- Type: Fork-Mount (Inside Rack)
- No. of Bike Capacity: 1
- Rack Weight (lbs): 0.5
- Dimensions (inch): 4.3 x 1.5
- Weight Capacity: 45 lbs
- This is a different type of rack that can be set up inside your minivan, truck-bed, trailer, truck tool box or any other solid surface.
- Heavy-duty rack with a solid 6061 aluminum construction.
- Secure your bike’s fork with a 9 mm quick-release skewer.
- The skewer enables the rapid loading and unloading of your bikes.
- Adjusts the front wheels of any bike with 100 mm O.L.D (Over-Locknut-Dimension).
- This rack holds any bike that has an either disc or standard brake system.
- You don’t have to assemble this rack as it is pre-assembled.
- You can find two forms of this rack anodized with either Black or Chocolate color.
- ’Hollywood Racks’ will provide a lifetime warranty against any defect.
- Have to remove the front wheel of your bike if you want to mount it on this rack.
- It occupies a large portion of your minivan or truck-bed when it is installed.
- Need some type of wooden platform to install this rack.
- There is a possibility that the cone nut may vibrate off when there is no bike installed.
- The quick-release seems to be very tight if the rack is installed on the truck-bed wall.
The Hollywood Racks T970 is a fork mount rack that can be installed on a truck bed, truck toolbox, trailer, inside a minivan or any preferable solid surface. This rack is especially for those who are either professional bicycle transporters or who like to carry their bikes inside in their minivans.
The T970 is able to carry any standard bike weight and we suggest that you should carry a bike that weighs not more than 45 lbs. There is no basic assembly of this rack as this small rack is already assembled. But you need to make arrangements for mounting this rack on the dedicated place such as you need to find a wooden platform where this rack will be mounted, some screws to adjust the rack and other tools if required. The video given below shows how to mount this rack on a truck bed. You can also mount this rack inside your minivan in a similar process.
This rack is available in various packs in the market for example – pack of 2, pack of 3, pack of 4 and single pack. This lets you mount several bikes at a time inside your minivan. So this feature comes very handy when you want to transport multiple bikes inside your minivan or truck-bed. This rack is also very small and light which allows you to carry them with you anywhere, anytime.
9. Yakima Hangover rack
Vertical rack with 6 bikes capacity. Best for suspension bikes
- Type: Hitch Mount (Vertical-Style)
- No. of Bike Capacity: 6
- Rack Weight (lbs): 73
- Dimensions (inch): 22 x 69.5 x 60
- Weight Capacity: 37.5 x 6 = 225
- A strong and versatile rack that can carry up to 6 bikes in a vertical position.
- Foot-Operated Tilt Mechanism: Pressing a foot pedal you can change the rack’s position for easy rear access.
- The tilting option lets you load and unload your bikes without difficulty.
- Supports your bikes by the fork crown that enhances security and stability for transporting them.
- Fork’s finish remains protected by the soft padding.
- Rotating Wheel Cups: These cups are suitable to adjust various types of wheelbases.
- The heights of the 2 horizontal masts will get you an improved ground clearance at the same time won’t make the loading process of your bikes difficult.
- The 2 horizontal masts are angled in such positions that make no contact between your vehicle and bike’s tire.
- Hitch lock is included, so keep the rack protected with your vehicle.
- A solid bike rack with heavy-duty steel construction.
- For maximum security, this rack comes with an integrated lock loop so that you can add your own lock.
- A great choice when you want to load more bikes in a compact space for its vertical orientation.
- Whenever you and your friends are thirsty, just grab a bottle of cold drink and open it with its built-in bottle opener.
- Limited lifetime warranty for all ‘Yakima’ bike racks.
- This rack fits only 2” x 2” hitch receivers.
- This rack was designed to carry suspension-fork bikes only.
- Fat bikes are adjustable but they need to have suspension forks.
- The initial assembly can be challenging.
- Relatively heavier bike rack, not easy to carry around.
- It comes with an exorbitant buying price.
The Yakima Hangover is a hitch mount bike rack that organizes your bikes in a vertical position and has an extraordinary number of bike load capacity. This rack is able to carry a maximum number of 6 bikes that make it one of the best bike racks for group tours and big families.
The Yakima Hangover is the first-ever hitch bike rack of the company’s production line that holds the bikes vertically. ‘Yakima’ has tested this rack in their lab and on the road to check if the rack meets their standards. There are a total of 3 masts in this rack where one is the main mast and the other 2 masts have adjustable mast angles to keep the bikes from slamming into your vehicle. The foot-operated tilting feature makes the rear access a breeze. But this rack is best for accommodating bikes with suspension-forks such as mountain bikes.
This rack needs some assembly to install and they say it will take almost 10 minutes to install the rack. This rack only supports 50 mm (2”) hitch receivers and it is recommended for the hitch to have a tongue rating of 113 kg or more. This rack can handle up to 37.5 lbs of weight for each bike which makes 225 lbs for 6 bikes its total weight load capacity.
Frequenty Asked Questions
From American car classification – a minivan is a type of vehicle designed to transport passengers with a configurable amount of seats usually arranged in two or three rows. The equivalent term for a minivan in British English is Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV).
Minivans are more passenger based car platforms compared to full-size vans. They have a lower body and with removable seats, the owner can adjust some space in the back. Many cyclists or motorists use the back cargo area of their minivans to transport their bikes or cycles, though it’s not the proper solution. People who want to travel with their family and friends may encounter space problems for arranging seats for additional people as the back cargo area is loaded with bikes or motorbikes. As a result, they will need bike racks to mount their bikes.
There are some large size minivans and they became popular back in 1984 when the Renault Espace and the Dodge Caravan were first introduced. These types of minivans are known as ‘Large MPV’.
Q1. Is it possible to load other types of outdoor gear on my bike rack?
A1:- Yes it is possible to load several kinds of outdoor gears in the bike rack. Bike racks are designed to carry bikes mainly, but you can carry other types of outdoor gears. Sometimes these gears do not require any arrangements, they just easily fit your bike rack. Then again, some outdoor gears need the necessary equipment to carry them on a bike rack like extra straps, mounting bolts or other types of tools depending on the gear. Take a look at this chart to get an idea about the types of outdoor gears you can carry on different types of bike racks –
Q2. What type of bike rack is the best for a minivan?
A2:- Among the three major types of bike racks, a hitch mount bike rack will be the most convenient one for your minivan. They tend to attach to the hitch receiver of your minivan and that saves a lot of space in the back cargo area of your minivan. Moreover, these types of racks are able to carry a larger number of bikes than the other two types of bike racks. A fork mount roof rack will also be good, but they can’t carry multiple bikes. You have to buy one rack for one bike only.
Q3. Is a hitch mount bike rack with a cargo tray more beneficial for a minivan?
A3:- Hitch mount bike rack with cargo tray is a special type of hitch mount bike rack. This type of rack has an extra space that works as cargo space. So if you are planning to take your bikes along with bike’s accessories with you, then a hitch mount bike rack with a cargo tray will be a good choice for you. But they add extra load on the back of your car as they are relatively heavier.
Q4. While driving a minivan, how many bikes are appropriate to load on the bike rack?
A4:- It really depends on you and the benchmark of your demands. Usually, when someone wants to carry his bikes while he is traveling by his car without any specific criteria, it is recommended to carry at least two bikes. To be more specific, you should buy a rack that is able to load at least 2 bikes when you just want to carry your bikes or you like to have your bikes with you when you explore a place or participate in an adventure where you don’t have any specific criteria.
At the end of our discussion, we recommend you to buy any bike rack from our selection that we have discussed above according to your personal preferences and demands. The bike racks from selection are of different types based on their mounting positions on your vehicle and all of them are very beneficial for carrying a significant number of bikes, especially when you drive a minivan or similar type vehicle. Thank you for reading this article, hopefully, you have found your desired bike rack after reading this article. And if you didn’t, then we are sure this article helped you a lot by providing a ton of useful information.