Oversize riders can be put into the category of overweight riders. Usually an overweight person has a bigger bottom and for their weight they put a lot of pressure on the saddle. So if the saddle is a regular saddle, there will be excess weight and pressure on such a tiny area. So, considering the weight and size of big bottoms/heavy riders, we had to choose saddles very carefully for them. At the same time we had to ensure that the saddles must be durable enough to carry all the pressure.
After countless hours of researching and testing we have come up with the following saddles for oversize bottoms based on cycling category.
Here is an overall view so that you can give a quick look at the saddles:
1. For commuting/city riding: Brooks B190
- Weight: 1850 gm
- Dimensions: 324 x 249 x 135 mm
- Color: Black
- Cover material: Vegetable tan leather
- A newly shaped heavy duty saddle made in England.
- Original vegetable tan leather cover.
- Double spring coils are able to resist any severe shocks while carrying extra weight.
- Adding to that a double loop front spring which balance the front pressure on a bumpy road.
- A relatively large top for wide bottoms.
- Tubular rivets made of Steel.
- A 2 years product guarantee will be provided and you can get an extended warranty of 10 years if you register your product at their website.
- Not waterproof like other Brooks leather saddles.
- Substantially heavier saddle (almost 2 kg).
- Proper maintenance is needed and have to apply Proofide (Brooks leather conditioner) on a regular schedule.
The B190 is the new heavy duty saddle from Brooks yet it does not neglect the classical look. A very durable saddle featuring double coil springs at the back and a front loop spring. This saddle is able to handle the extra load and pressure keeping the rider comfy for the whole ride.
2. Best touring/road bike saddle for big guys (Clydesdales): Brooks B17
- Weight: 520 gm
- Dimensions: 275 x 175 x 65 mm
- Color: Black, Brown, Honey, Red
- Cover material: Vegetable tan leather
- The most renowned model from Brooks, ruling the saddle industry for over 100 years.
- You will feel very comfortable as the top is made from vegetable tan leather.
- Features tubular rivets which are made of Steel.
- The standard version comes with Chrome plating Steel rails, but if can spend a little bit more money you can choose Titanium rails.
- A waterproof seat cover and a mounting tool will be provided.
- You will get a 2 years product guarantee and the company also awards a 10 years of extended warranty for registered customers.
- Longer break-in period, usually takes 200-300 miles.
- Proper care is needed and have to apply Proofide at least 2 times in a year.
- Although we are considering saddles for overweight riders but I can not but agree that, it is relatively heavy for touring or road cycling.
- Not waterproof.
In spite of having problem with break in period, the B17 hits rock bottom as a saddle. When you done with break-in period you do not want to switch your saddle. Some people even stick to this saddle for around 10 to 12 years which proves its durability. There is also a woman’s variant which is the B17 S model.
3. Best cruising/recreational riding for heavy riders: Cloud-9
- Weight: 1450 gm
- Dimensions: 242 x 242 x 160 mm
- Color: Black
- Cover material: Lycra
- For an overweight rider the saddle offers dual density foam padding to keep him comfortable all the way.
- A wide cushy saddle to hold that extra bottom.
- Will make you feel easy and relax even on a bumpy road as the saddle has Chrome coil spring suspension.
- Universal fit, adjustable with any bike.
- The seat cover is waterproof.
- Because of the wider rails the saddle may not fit all types of bikes.
- Stiff springs can make a heavy person uneasy.
- Also need to adjust the handlebar reach as the saddle lifts you up a little bit.
- If you like a moderately padded saddle, then don’t go for this saddle.
The Cloud-9 will mold eventually as you ride more on this and will limit your discomfort over time. Highly recommended by people, especially suggested by oversized riders. Allows prolonged cycling on rainy weather as the cover is waterproof.
4. Most comfortable MTB saddle for big guys: Selle Anatomica X1
- Weight: 515 gm
- Dimensions: 292 x 182 x 75 mm
- Color: Black Gunmetal, Black Copper, Oxblood Gunmetal, Oxblood Copper
- Cover material: Full grain leather
- Most popular model from Selle for providing unmatched comfort.
- Full Grain leather on the top of the saddle made in USA.
- Watershed cover reinforced with patented laminate design.
- Cover is supported by a stiffer layer attached to the underside.
- Find comfort in the patented Flex-Fly slot which moves with you.
- The slot plays serious responsibility for relieving perineal discomfort.
- Support Hex key Tension system.
- Rails are made of 4130 Chromoly Steel very much suitable for fore/aft movement of your saddle.
- You can choose real Copper rivets but that is optional investment.
- Offers a 30- day guarantee.
- You have to deal with break-in period, not comfortable from day one.
- The saddle might make squeaky sound while pedaling.
- There is a possibility that the saddle may bend when you put extra load on it.
- Proper maintenance and care is needed and may need to oil the underside of the saddle.
The Selle X1 is no doubt a remarkable saddle for MTB. Most people also prefer this saddle as their regular saddle. Although a lot of overweight people are using this saddle for mountain biking but we do not suggest this saddle for riders who are just unbelievably overweight ( 250-300 lbs). If you are looking for a saddle which can handle that type of heavy load you should go for Selle Anatomica H1 as the company justified that its leather weight limit is 250 lbs
5. For exercise bike: Bikeroo Indoor Saddle
- Weight: 1178 gm
- Dimensions: 258 x 258 x 176 mm
- Color: Black
- Cover material: Quality Faux Leather
- The thick layer of soft padding is made especially for middle-aged to senior riders.
- An extra large saddle for oversize riders.
- Approved by 25000 riders who physically tested this saddle.
- The saddle has an indoor as well as outdoor variant.
- Will provide you a complete package i.e. a waterproof cover, a universal seat adapter, a mounting tool and instruction paper.
- No need to worry about bouncy roads, the elastomer springs are best suited for absorbing shocks.
- Offers a 60- days money back guarantee, which is great.
- Extra wide rails will not adjust all types of post.
- Low-grade material beneath the saddle.
- You may slide off for aggressive movement.
One of the best saddles out there in the market to be used as an indoor bike saddle for stationary bikes. The extra large area of this saddle is a good fit for oversized riders. At the same time it will make you comfortable and easy while you are up for exercise. The ergonomic design is engineered to keep you healthy and active for the whole ride. This saddle is also certified by the ISO.
6. Best nose-less saddle for plus size rider (300 lb men): Schwinn
- Weight: 839 gm
- Dimensions: 175 x 190 x 100 mm
- Color: Black
- Cover: Weather resistant fabric
- This saddle limits the pressure point contacts on you private area.
- Access free movement between your legs.
- The thick padding is made with soft foam will reduce stress on the sit bones.
- Designed to adjust almost any standard bikes.
- Weather resistant seat cover.
- Very durable cover material, can roughly use for years.
- May slide off the saddle as there is no front nose.
- Not designed to fit an exercise equipment.
- The saddle is fragile not durable.
- The edges are not round enough for carrying a bigger butt.
The Schwinn is an American brand was founded in 1895. The name is iconic for making quality and innovative saddles and bikes.You will find no other noseless saddle that can provide the support as this one. A great saddle for relieving leg muscle pain for continuous cycling.
7. Best bike seat for overweight female: YLG
- Weight: 1384 gm
- Dimensions: 270 x 339 x 194 mm
- Color: Black with blue edge
- Cover material: PVC Leather
- A super comfortable bike seat made only for considering women’s comfort.
- Thick padding of high density memory foam and soft gel inside the saddle.
- Shakeproof and waterproof PVC layer on top.
- A breathable design engineered to adjust and keep your bum in place.
- Feel more stable and shock free on bumpy trails for the rear dual rubber springs.
- The reflective sticker around the saddle will ensure a risk free ride at night.
- Mounting instruction, mounting tools and a saddle adapter will be provided with the seat.
- For the universal design it will fit almost any bike.
- Offers a 90-days return and refund policy.
- The saddle may shift with your weight while riding.
- Springs make the saddle a little too bouncy.
- The ridges will be the areas where you will be sitting most rather than actual sitting area, this is pretty awkward.
- Springs might get loose because of poor build quality.
- May not fit some bikes.
The YLG saddle is great for big male and female riders when it comes to prevent soreness. The snub nose design will lower the pressure on your sensitive parts. As it is designed mainly for women, it might not be the most comfortable saddle for a man. In fact the sloppy nose directing upward will cut into the man parts.
8. Best over sized bike seat: Bikeroo Oversized Saddle
- Weight: ~1250 gm
- Dimensions: 259 x 240 mm
- Color: Black
- Cover material: Synthetic elasticated rubber
- Very wide saddle with high-quality memory foam padding.
- Dual elastomer springs not only absorbs the bumps on the road but also removes the overall discomfort.
- The center cut-out features extensive airflow for heavy commuters.
- Universal standard rail mounting system will adjust almost all types of bikes.
- Can be used as an indoor bike saddle.
- Package also includes an adapter, mounting tools and a waterproof seat cover.
- The regrettable thing is the seat has only a single nut to held together with the post which is at the same time can be dangerous.
- The front plastic shell under the seat can break easily.
- The short front makes lady parts unstable.
Despite having some negative effects, this saddle is still a great saddle for fatty riders with big butts. The saddle is very exceptional for its soft cushioning. The memory foam plays a significant role for making the saddle very soft and spongy. If you have a large bottom and you are thinking of buying this saddle, then you have made a fair decision.
9. Cruiser saddle with backrest: Sunlite Backrest Saddle
- Weight: 1630 gm
- Dimensions: Base: 228 x 279 mm, Backrest: 139 x 177 mm
- Color: Black
- Cover material: Durable vinyl
- Provides additional support for heavy riders who want a comfortable ride.
- Additional comfort in the back and lumbar area.
- This saddle was made to suit riders who like to lean back on the saddle.
- For trikes/tricycles this saddle can be used as an additional saddle.
- The most exciting part is the adjustable backrest which can move up and down to 3 inches maximum.
- Although it is mentioned that this saddle can handle 350 lbs of load but it is best to provide not more than 275 lbs.
- The shape of the base is not round enough to hold your bum.
- For oversize riders, they might slide forward as the backrest is not large enough.
- Cheap build quality.
There can be other saddle with backrest in the market, but this saddle is our top pick. For oversized people this saddle offers great support on their back which also helps them to balance the overall weight for prolonged hours of cycling. It is also padded enough to avoid sit bone pain.
10. Big Size Cover: Zacro
- Weight: 358 gm
- Dimensions: 277 x 252 mm
- Color: Black, Red, Purple
- A thick gel saddle cover ideal for absorbing most painful and severe shocks.
- Effective drawstring fastening system and non-slip bottom will stick to the saddle when there is aggressive movement.
- Comes with a water and dust resistant cover.
- Offers various fancy colors to choose from.
- A low cost solution for maximum comfort.
- Easy to mount.
- This particular cover is for wide seats only, will not fit narrow seats.
- It is not an over padded cover, so you still might find your saddle hard.
Are you tired of cycling? Tired of feeling uncomfortable? Then this cover will heal all your pain while cycling. It can be your best solution for a small investment. This cover will recover your painful and unbearable cycling situation for sure.
11. Narrow saddle cover: Domain Cycling
As the Zacro seat cover can only be fitted with a wide saddle, so if you still want to go for a relatively narrow cover for your oversize bottom you can check the Domain Cycling Seat Cover.
The relationship between your saddle and you most depends on the geometry of your body type. We are thinking of riders who are oversize with big buttocks. So these riders are also very heavy in weight, because this is natural. The weight is the main criteria of choosing the saddle. Your saddle needs to be strong and durable enough to carry all that load.
For choosing a saddle there are three basic things to consider when you are an oversize person.
The width of the saddle:
To carry an oversize bottom your saddle must have all the extra space. You obviously do not want a narrow seat as that’s what our common sense tells us. Equal or greater than 200 mm is the minimum width suggested for your saddle. The height and length may have an effect but they are not our main concern here.
Durability of the saddle:
I will again say, an oversize person is most of the time an overweight person. The saddle should be able to carry extra weight as well as remain undamaged when it is soaked in water or dried out by scorching heat. Most of the time for getting a comfortable saddle heavy riders go for foam saddles. Keep that in mind they tend to wear out and collapse faster compared to saddles made of leather or synthetic fabric.
Rails of the saddle:
Titanium rails are the strong rails but they are expensive. Performance athletes who are weight conscious usually go for Carbon rails but they are not practical for all types of people and rides. Carbon rails are mostly used for Triathlon, Time trial or for racing. So this brings us to the most common Steel rails which are fairly good and they work out very well for handling extra weight pressure. If you are a heavy person a quality saddle with Steel rails will settle your demands.
Except these 3 basic topics your most preferable saddle will depend on your budget. If you want to spend a whole lot of cash on a saddle, then there are options but it would not be a wise and logical decision
- Go for a high quality saddle with enough padding, strong rails and long lasting. Even if they cost a bit more, it is worth to buy one rather than switching a lot of different cheap quality saddles.
- Cover is a very important fact. Try to go for a leather or high-quality synthetic fabric.
- Do even think of buying a plastic wide saddle even if they are extremely big.
- An adequate wide saddle with shorter nose are the primary characteristics of the saddle for a large woman.
- Although some saddles may look heavily padded with large seat cover, but they might not be as comfortable as your expectation.
Choose a saddle that will help you to love cycling, not hold you off for cycling. A great saddle will eliminate all your discomfort, will reduce the pressure around your soft tissue area and will you to distribute the weight equally rather than pushing on your sit bones. Once you find your desired saddle you will begin to love cycling. You will want to ride further and get more from your cycle.
- Most Comfortable Bike Seats for Overweight Riders
- Most comfortable bike seats & covers for men
- Most comfortable MTB & Road bike seats for women
- Best gel bike seat cover
Last update on 2020-04-05 at 19:04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API