ApexBikes team tested Pearl Izumi Men’s SELECT Softshell Gloves in the extreme weather conditions. Here is the test results and reviews.
Quick Review Summary:
- Though it is rated for sub-zero temperatures, we found it good for mildly cold weather.
- If you are planning for long rides in extreme cold weather, this will not work. It is good for less windy weather. Our list of cycling gloves for extreme sub-zero temperatures.
- Warm, budget-friendly gloves with good features.
- Despite not being waterproof, its windproof ability, sizing options, touchscreen capability make it one of the most popular gloves in the market.
- Got some difficulties while taking off and putting them back on.
Budget-friendly, Good-featured gloves
- Windproof, water-resistant cold-weather glove
- Silicone covered palm, has a good grip
- Great sizing options, from S to XXL
- Reflective material for extra safety at night
- Budget-friendly, Cool designed, high-quality gloves
- Can work with touch screen
- Thumbs have nose wipe on its back
- Relatively lightweight
- It is not waterproof.
- No cuff system gloves
- Doesn’t work well in wet and below subzero weather
- Unpadded gloves.
- Lightly insulated- less thermal protection in extreme cold
- Materials used for Body: 46% polyester 36% nylon 10% elastane 8% polyurethane
- Closure: No cuff, Simple pull-on design
- Recommended for: Mild winter cycling
- Features: Full 360-degree Softshell coverage and mid-weight fleece interior insulation
Silicone screened palm for a performance grip
- Color: Screaming Yellow & Black
Sets the benchmark for affordable wind and water protection
Pearl Izumi is one of the reputed companies in the cycling industry. The select softshell glove is one of their fantastic products. It has a 3-layer softshell exterior to keep the warmth, make the gloves windproof and water-resistant. Besides this, it has reflective material on the body, great sizing options, light insulation, a good grip e.t.c. Despite all these features, this glove is affordable.
Features that make it one of the fantastic glove
1) Windproof, water-resistant, and lightly insulated
This glove is made of SELECT Softshell fabric which is why it is windproof and can provide water protection. It has a 3-layer softshell exterior. The light insulation enables the glove to provide adequate thermal protection in mild winter.
2) Touch capability, handy nose wipe, and good grip
This glove has conductive synthetic material on its index and thumb. So, it works with touch devices. There is also a fleece nose-wipe on the thumbs. The synthetic leather palm of the glove is silicone covered which ensures a good grip.
3) True to its size and affordability
The glove has great sizing options from S to XXL. This glove is kind of a value champion. It has a lot of features and then it’s affordable.
Build materials are:
- 46% polyester
- 36% nylon
- 10% elastane
- 8% polyurethane
Are they one of the best?
No, actually they are not. These gloves are affordable, has a lot of features but doesn’t fall inside the best category. Because
They aren’t waterproof. Get wet fast in rainy/wet weather.
Not durable enough and lightly insulated. Can’t provide enough thermal protection in deep winter.
The Gloves have no padding.
Pearl Izumi select softshell glove has come from one of the reputed brands in the cycling industry. So, it’s natural we have expectations upon it and it didn’t disappoint. It has lots of features and also it lacks lots of too but overall it’s affordable and a fantastic glove to buy.
- Castelli Estremo winter cycling gloves review
- Best cycling gloves for subzero temperatures
- Best padded full/half finger cycling gloves
Last update on 2020-07-31 at 16:02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API