If you want to know where to buy gym equipment from, this is the right place. Maybe you are thinking about opening up your own gym, or you are simply curious. Whatever the reason, here you will find information about how to buy both used and brand new equipment.
Normally, a gym would get most of its equipment from an established supplier such as the gym source or US fitness products. To save money, many times a gym will buy second-hand equipment in good condition from companies such as used gym equipment. There is also the option of trying out Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, or even garage sales.
Buying Used vs Buying New vs Leasing Equipment
To create a gym of the highest quality, the best way would be to buy all new equipment. While this will ensure that your gym equipment lasts for years with few breakdowns, the initial cost will be very high. Many entrepreneurs will simply not have that much capital at the beginning. Therefore, you have to go with obtaining second-hand equipment which is not necessarily a bad thing.
If you search carefully, you can find loads of gym machines that work as well as new. This is because many people buy equipment that they do not stick with after a few months. You will get these used machines for a cheaper price. However, there is always the risk of the equipment having a defect or just not lasting as long before repairs are required. Hence, maintenance costs might be higher.
A third option is to lease gym equipment. This way you can get brand new machines but at a lower price. Whenever any problems arise, the vendor will take a look and carry out repairs for you. You can even get replacements if needed. The downsides are that you do not own anything and therefore, the equipment is not an asset for you and cannot be resold in the future.
Where to get used gym equipment
Two of the best places to buy used gym equipment are used gym equipment and global fitness. Both companies have been around for decades. They specialize in repairing and refurbishing used gym equipment and selling them at a lower price. If you buy from them you can rest assured that there won’t be any problem with the machines. Other than that, there are other ways, both online and offline, from where you can stumble upon great deals and possibly lower prices. Some of these include:-
- Facebook Marketplace
- Garage sales
- Second-hand sports stores (e.g. Play it Again Sports)
These are all great sources of acquiring quality second-hand equipment for your gym. You just have to have some patience. Although, we would recommend being more careful about what you buy from any of the online platforms.
Where to get brand new gym equipment
If you already have a lot of money to spend, you can consider buying brand new equipment instead. This also applies to those who have been running a gym for a while and are thinking about getting upgrades. Again there are a lot of options. You can try visiting a nearby sporting goods store. Some popular names are Dick’s Sporting Goods, Big 5 Sporting Goods, and Academy Sports. For smaller items such as dumbbells, mats, or jump ropes, you could also buy from Walmart or other retail shops.
Other than that, there are large-scale suppliers/sellers of gym equipment that can provide you with pretty much everything you need to set up a gym. Some of the biggest names are:-
- Gym Source
- US Fitness Products
- Primo Fitness USA
- Iron Company
- Johnson Fitness & Wellness
Some of these companies can also help you out with designing the gym layout and setting up the equipment. The option to lease machines is also available and you will find equipment of all sorts of brands. You can check out their websites to find out more.
What brands to look out for
However, you choose to buy equipment, make sure that they are of a reputable brand. Otherwise, you might find the machines breaking down or having constant issues. Some of the most prominent brands are Precor, Cybex, Life Fitness, Hammer Strength, and Star Trac. Some of these specialize in cardio exercise machines while others focus on strength training machines.
Different types of gyms
The first thing you need to decide before opening a gym is what kind of gym you want. Not all gyms are the same and they can be grouped into 7 types:-
- Big box gyms: This is the most common and most versatile type of gym. A big box gym will have all kinds of machines and equipment for both cardio and strength training. Larger gyms can also feature other specialties such as spin classes or a calisthenics section.
- Boutique gyms/fitness studios: A boutique gym or boutique fitness studio is a smaller gym that usually specializes in one or two kinds of workout such as spinning, yoga, pilates, etc. Boutique gyms often have a strong sense of community due to the small groups and that everyone works out together.
- Crossfit gyms: Crossfit is a style of working out that has become very popular in recent years. It combines weighted and bodyweight exercises to provide high-intensity workouts that shred fat and build strength. Crossfit gyms also feature classes where everyone works out together.
- Powerlifting gyms: This the perfect gym for you if all you care about is building strength and huge muscles. This is also where you will see a lot of professional weight lifters and strong men. They focus mainly on heavy lifting with exercises such as deadlifts, bench presses, squats, etc.
- Personal training gyms: This is where you would go if you want a personal trainer to guide you throughout your fitness journey. Hence, you can ensure that you achieve your goals. They are usually smaller than big-box gyms but have similar equipment. Additionally, they are more expensive.
- Women’s gyms: It is not uncommon for women to face harassment or feel uncomfortable in a regular gym. A woman-specific gym is ideal for women to get a great workout in relative peace. There is no judgment, no leering eyes, no need to compete with guys over a machine.
- Rock climbing gyms: These gyms are quite rare but slowly increasing in popularity. You will find walls and boulders of different shapes and sizes for users to climb. It can be challenging but fun as well. Moreover, in some rock climbing gyms, regular gym equipment can be found as well.
Depending on the type of gym, you might need entirely different kinds of equipment. When most of us say gym, we usually mean a big box gym with all kinds of equipment. But you should decide whether you want to specialize and if that will be better for business in your area.
Lastly, when it comes to building a gym, one of the most important, if not the most important criteria to take into consideration is your budget. Therefore, if you happen to be on a budget, then, we highly recommend you to have a look at how to build a gym on a budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Should I open my own gym?
Ans.: Any new business can be extremely difficult to get off the ground. However, fitness has never been as popular as it has been for the last decade. The fitness industry has shown steady growth in all aspects and has been remarkably resistant to recessions. Hence, if you do want to be an entrepreneur, then opening a gym is one of the safer bets.
Q2. What other costs do I need to think about when opening a new gym?
Ans.: Except for the equipment, your main costs will probably be from the place itself. Rent, renovation, and utilities will take up a lot of your capital. Then there are the salaries of employees that you need to think about. You would also probably want to have some sort of software for the management of the gym. Finally, there are licenses and insurances that you will need to purchase.
We have listed a whole bunch of sources that you can choose from depending on the budget available. We have tried to provide all the information but the final decision is up to you. It’s a great thing if you have decided to open your own gym. Therefore, try to collect as much capital as possible and invest in the right equipment. That way you’ll be on your way to achieving your goals sooner than you think.