Searching for the best women’s mountain bike saddle in the market? After testing and researching on several women’s mountain bike saddles, we prefer the Selle Italia Diva Gel Superflow saddle as our overall top pick.
Ensuring comfort to lady riders is the main motive of the Selle Italia’s “DIVA” series. They feature same measurement but have substantially more padding to relieve sit bone discomfort and provide a slightly more comfortable ride for women. Affordable price. Its great build and design will attract stylish women easily.
Remember, a wrong saddle can cause chafing and discomfort to inner thighs. This can give you a terrible experience about mountain cycling. For different body shapes and riding styles, you should always choose a saddle very carefully.
Here is a quick view of our chosen women’s mountain bike saddles:
6 best women’s specific mountain bike saddles in the market
1. Selle Italia Diva: Best MTB saddle for women
- Weight: 275gm – 285gm
- Size (mm): Small: 135 x 270, Large: 152 x 270
- Best for: Sports Touring, MTB
Why it is our best choice:
• Saddle features Tubular Vanox rails.
• Ensures high levels of comfort because of the presence of gel in the padding and don’t even neglect performance.
• Abrasion-resistant, breathable leather keeps you comfortable, especially women.
• Perineal pressure is relieved by the center cut-out.
• Saddle is constructed from Carbon composite shell (10%).
• Shock absorber reduces bumps and vibrations giving you super comfort.
• A narrow saddle for large women.
• There is only one color.
• Not waterproof.
2. Ergon SM: Lightweight saddle
- Weight: 265 gm – 275 gm
- Size (mm): Small: 261 x 143, Large: 261 x 155
- Best for: All Mountain, Touring, Enduro
What we got while we reviewed this saddle:
• They feature CroMo rail which are comparatively cheap but it does the job.
• They provide Nylon composite shells.
• Also features microfiber cover.
• Has a center cut-out for air ventilation.
• Padded with orthopedic comfort foam for maximum relief in the sensitive areas.
• Reasonable in price.
• The SM Women comes in just black in color.
• CroMo rails are not stronger than Titanium rails.
• Front is a little narrow for large women.
3. Planet Bike: Best value of your money
- Weight: 407 grams
- Size (mm): 255 x 173
- Best for: Cross-country (XC), Downhill, Enduro
Features that attracted us:
• ‘V’ shape cover perfectly fits the hip of a female rider.
• Combination of gel and foam padding relieves pressure on soft tissue.
• Anatomic design with full length center recess and cut-out.
• Seat cover is weather resistant with abrasion-resistant side material.
• Strong and durable rails made of Steel.
• Reasonable in price
• Even if the cover is weather resistant, but it is not waterproof.
• The front nose of the seat can jam up into your private parts.
• Can cause pain as the pressure points on the seat are not line up correctly.
4. Bikeroo: Comfortable Choice
- Weight: 698 grams
- Size (mm): 259 x 198 x 60
- Best for: MTB, Indoor Cycling, Road Cycling
What makes it so comfortable?
• For short or longer rides the saddle will ensure comfort on the seat bones for women.
• Saddle offers dual suspension makes it a great choice for off-road.
• Extremely thick padding for women who have wide hips and medium weight.
• Its deep center cut-out can help alleviating pain from female private parts.
• Protects soft tissue areas because of its wider design.
• Horrible installation as the adapter comes uninstalled (May need to watch the video that seller provides).
• Some users find the saddle unattractive.
• Much heavier (weighs about 698 gm).
• Quality and durability is substandard.
5. Selle SMP: Ergonomic design for pain-less riding
- Weight: 395 grams
- Size (mm): 275 x 140
- Best for: MTB, Recreational Cycling, Commuting
Selle SMP’s special features:
• Durable saddle with elastomer padding for maximum women’s comfort.
• Dropped nose with center cut-out design takes off pressure from Prudential Nerve and surrounding tissue.
• Prevents Nerve compression and buttock pain which makes it ideal for women.
• No more worries about private areas going numb, this saddle will leave you with zero numbness.
• Rails are made of Steel reinforced with Nylon 12 Carbon Fiber shell.
• “EXTRA” lettering on both sides of the cover can cause chaffing.
• Has narrow front with dropped nose which can sometimes be uncomfortable for inner thighs.
• These saddles are very specific, will not accommodate all types of riders.
6. Brooks B17: Leather saddle for professional women cyclists
- Weight: 460 grams
- Size (mm): 242 x 176 x 58
- Best for: Long distance sports touring, Trekking, MTB
Some features that fulfill the purpose:
• Features a traditional design following 100 years old technique.
• The center cut-out relieves all perineal pressure.
• Cover is handmade with vegetable tan leather in England.
• Promotes different colors (usually Black & Brown) according women’s taste.
• Features chrome plated Steel rails. Provides a 2 years warranty and an extended 10 years warranty is provided for customers who have registered their product on their official website.
• There is an issue with break-in period.
• Need proper maintenance and need to apply Proofide (Brooks leather conditioner) time to time.
• Not waterproof.
• Saddle comes in a high price.
Buying Guide: What women should consider while buying a MTB saddle
Taking your bicycles to off-road especially over rough terrain is Mountain Biking. For this type of cycling you will need Mountain Bikes. They share similarities in features with other bicycle types, but their design enhances their durability and performance in rough terrains. Mountain biking can be categorized into multiple types: Cross Country, “Enduro” (all mountain), Freeride, Dirt Jumping and other types. This type of sport requires endurance, core strength and balance, so it is quite challenging for a woman. Therefore she needs the perfect saddle to master this type of ride.
It is very important for a woman that she has chosen the right saddle for mountain biking. It is a little bit complicated. Because while a saddle is perfectly suitable for one woman can be a horrible saddle for another woman. So, when choosing the best mountain bike saddle, you should be concerned about some specific things like your measurements, the saddle’s measurements, whether the saddle has a cut-out channel or not, the materials of the rail, etc.
# Make a choice between Unisex and Women’s Specific Saddles
In the saddle industry, a “women-specific” saddle actually means more than a Unisex saddle. Unfortunately this is not the case every time. Some companies or sellers use the term “women-specific” just to make a marketing platform, while the saddle does not really carry the specifications of a women’s saddle. Again some saddles are unisex, but it has found more useful to women rather than men.
The seat bones of a woman are much wider than a man and they have more pelvic rotation (The orientation of the pelvis in respect to the thigh bones and the rest of the body). Because of these differences, women do need saddles that are designed differently for them. Women’s mountain bike saddles have wider rear and have a cut-out or may have a groove in the middle sometimes.
Although some women might find unisex saddles pleasant, but suggest they should try some “women-specific” saddles also to figure out if they really comfortable with a unisex saddle or they just do not care about the difference between “women-specific” and unisex saddles.
# Measure yourself first
“First things first”, no matter what kind of cycling you prefer or whether you are a boy or a girl, it is wise to measure your seat bones first. The right saddle depends on the distance between your seat bones especially if you are a woman. When you are certain about your measurements, it will be a piece of cake for you to find the right saddle that is wide enough to support your weight and also narrow enough so it doesn’t cause too much chafing.
You can easily measure the distance between your seat bones at home. For that you will need a 1) A Chalk, 2) A Tape measure and 3) A piece of Corrugated Cardboard. Now the following video will instruct you how to do this:
When you are doing this, try to measure in millimeters as the saddles are usually measured in this unit.
# Check the size
You must check the size of the saddle that you are going to buy. Check if the size adjusts with your hips. Female cyclists need wider rear and not so narrow at the front. Sometimes oversize saddles padded with premium quality memory foam will work great for large women on off-road while mountain cycling. Usually the saddles made for women are much wider than the saddles made for men. Usually women’s saddles are close to 240mm in length and 170mm in width.
# Try a number of saddles before buying
It is always a good idea to try a couple of saddles before buying one. You can try from some local shops where they arrange programs for trying out saddles before purchasing one. You can also give a test ride by borrowing a saddle from one of your lady riders who usually rides with you. By doing some test rides with couple of “women-specific” as well as some unisex saddles you will get some sort of idea of what you are really looking for.
# Get a saddle judging by your lady part
Although saddle selection is an individual issue but some women may find “women-specific” things helpful. Some women cannot get comfortable on a regular bike saddle. Again some women find comfort on unisex saddles.
There is always an issue with lady parts. For a woman who has pronounced lady parts may have trouble finding a comfortable saddle. She will require a wide saddle with center cut-out and the saddle must be padded in a moderate way. Saddles built specifically for women may help alleviating pain from female private parts. There can also be holes for natural ventilation.
What people face most is lack of proficiency in the saddle world. It is common that no matter what you do, you will experience discomfort even for a little when you are new to the cycling world. Give your time for the tissues around your private parts to get used to it.
“I am a woman, what is the best saddle for mountain cycling for me?” Well, the answer to this question depends entirely up to you. There is no specific answer. It depends on a lot of things like your body structure, your weight, your age, type of material the saddle is made of, how easily you can adapt the seat and a lot of other things. The price range and availability of the saddle is also important things to consider.
This article is only to give you the preconditions to be the suitable saddle for a woman for mountain biking. From the above saddles you can choose one or you can also try a saddle for mountain cycling from you own preference.
- Best Brooks saddles for long touring
- Best Road Bike Saddles for Touring and Long Rides
- Best Brooks saddles for regular/heavy commuting
- Most comfortable MTB & Road bike seats for women
- Best women’s road bike saddles
Last update on 2020-01-27 at 15:44 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API