The bike saddle you choose will have a huge impact on your riding comfort and performance. This is why both amateur and seasoned cyclists look for the most comfortable bike seats. However, the phrase ‘most comfortable’ is subjective since what works for one rider, gender, or riding type may not work for another.
With the different options available in the market, choosing the right bike saddle can make for a difficult and overwhelming undertaking. This is why it is important to test the saddle before arriving at a decision or making a purchase. However, it is important to remember that discomfort can arise from factors such as adjustment problems and not just the saddle itself. You should also keep in mind that some bike seats have break-in time and will take time before they adjust to your body shape. In the end, the seat you choose will depend on your riding type.
- 9 Comfortable Seats for Women (Chosen based on Uses & Users)
- Buying Guide: Things to consider before buying a saddle
- Women’s bike seat vs. men’s
- Why women have saddle problems on the bike
- Why bike saddles hurt. Reasons for saddle discomfort
- Questions to ask before buying a bike saddle
- What can women do to get comfortable in the saddle?
- How can you make your bike seat more comfortable?
- Related Readings
9 Comfortable Seats for Women (Chosen based on Uses & Users)
Choosing the right bicycle saddle for your needs can be daunting. We have compiled reviews of some of the most comfortable bike seats for women to make your work easier.
For Exercise Bikes:
If you are looking for the best saddle for your exercise bike, here are some options you should consider.
A comfortable choice for your Exercise Bikes:
- Thick padding and dual suspension makes it very comfortable.
- Best choice for women with wide hip and medium weight (over 135 pounds).
- Helps alleviating pain from female private parts because of its wider design.
- Cutout design to protect soft tissue areas.
- Very comfortable, especially on the seat bones for short and longer rides.
- Installation can be horrible as the adapter is not pre-installed. May need to watch the video that the seller provides.
- Poor quality and durability.
- The seat is too hard especially when riding fast.
- There might be issues with the design, can be unattractive to some users.
This Bikeroo bike seat is one of the most comfortable for women shopping for saddles for their exercise bikes. The seat delivers enhanced comfort for great ride quality and is made of high-quality materials that promote durability. The thick padding and dual spring suspension improve comfort and ensure you feel great even during rigorous exercise. A wider saddle design is perfect for a lady’s anatomy, allowing you to cycle for extended periods of time without pain. One of the advantages of this saddle is that it can be used for both indoor and outdoor cycling sessions, a factor that offers flexibility.
Apart from padding with soft cushion, this saddle also has a deep center cutout. This helps to reduce pressure on soft tissue areas where women are likely to suffer when they bend over in a cycling position. The hassle-free mounting saves you time and effort, while universal fit offers great convenience. When looking for a bike seat that lets women ride longer, this is one of the options you should consider.
This is another good fit for your Exercise Bike:
- Has ELASTOMER springs with thick padding which makes it great for indoor cycling.
- This bike saddle is a super shock absorber and it is highly resistant big bike seat which makes it ideal for both men and women.
- The elastomer springs will isolate all vibrations that you might feel through spine.
- Highly recommended for users who want to lean forward while riding.
- Cushy, thick padding and big enough to accommodate users with larger bottoms.
- Easy to install and very well made.
- For slightly wider rails that come with the wider seat, the brackets may not accommodate for bikes which have only one bolt that holds the seat in place.
- The bottom of the seat is plastic and there is another plastic rim around the edge that serves no purpose at all.
- At the bottom of the seat there is the suspension which squeaks, creaks and make noise.
- The seat slants to one side creating an uncomfortable position.
Bikeroo Oversized Comfort Bike Seat (without cutout) is engineered to help you stay active and healthy. This versatile Bikeroo cycling bike seat is a great choice for women looking for a comfortable saddle for their exercise bikes. The thick, soft padding and extra-wide design provide maximum comfort even during extreme training, while the strong elastomer suspensions absorb shock to protect you from the vibrations you would feel through your spine. This helps you to stay away from pain and soreness even after long hours of exercise. The stainless-steel springs can withstand and recover from extreme deformation, distributing pressure from your behind to the saddle so you can avoid lower back pain.
While comfort helps you make your cycling adventures fun, high-quality materials promote durability and long-lasting use. There are two variations from which you can choose, depending on whether you plan to use the seat on an outdoor or indoor bike. The reduced height of the elastomer springs and universal saddle adapter make mounting easy.
For Cruiser Bikes (Recreational Cycling):
If you have a cruiser bike that you use for recreational cycling, you need to pick a saddle that will meet your needs and requirements.
Why is it a good choice for your cruisers?
- Cushion is made of non-slip wear-resistant texture PVC leather and also very durable which make it one of the most comfortable saddles in the market.
- In the back it has unique design tail light which is waterproof and more safety when riding at night or rainy days.
- Battery is included in the tail light.
- Good for outdoor longer rides as it has dual spring & ventilation channel.
- Narrow front sides promote free movement of thighs.
- Rail clamp is included so saddle can be mounted on any standard seat post.
- Universal design for users of all ages and genders.
- Padding is hard, there is no high density memory foam.
- Sometimes the light covers might be coming off, would be better if it was screwed.
- Light covers are made of cheap plastic.
Say goodbye to back pains, and spend hours riding your bike. The DAWAY C99 bike seat is padded with thick, high-density memory foam to protect your hip and behind. The non-slip, wear-resistant PVC leather ensures you stay in position when cycling on uneven surfaces. It is also soft and elastic, so you can cycle for long and is made of durable materials to promote long-lasting use. The unique design of the bike seat features a waterproof bright tail light with three lighting modes. This light offers great visibility when riding in the night or rain to ensure safety.
This bike seat features an ergonomic design that includes narrow front sides to allow your thighs to move freely without rubbing against the seat. The bottom of the bicycle seat has dual spring rubber ball suspension for absorbing shock and providing protection. The hollow design reduces pressure on soft tissues while the breathable material helps to keep you cool so you can enjoy healthy and happy long-distance riding.
For Mountain Bikes:
Most mountain bike lovers look for bike seats that are not only comfortable but can also withstand the elements.
Why is it a good fit for your MTB?
- Comes with Double Anti-Vibration rubber ball which gives more flexibility and larger endurance.
- Company provides 90 days Money Back Guarantee.
- Ergonomic design and there is a dip in the center which helps to reduce pain in the tailbone.
- Super comfortable mountain bike seat for both men and women.
- Easy to install and fits on any seat post.
- The green stripes make it pretty stylish.
- Sometimes adapter might come off.
- Good for lighter persons as it doesn’t have enough cushion.
- Might have some issues with the plastic cover under the front of the saddle.
This BLUEWIND bike seat is the perfect saddle for mountain bikes. The high-density memory foam is super comfortable, and the waterproof leather is durable, so you can ride in different conditions. Its shock absorbing spring ball (dual) helps to protect the soft tissues from soreness and pain, making the seat suitable for women. The ergonomic design of the seat features a smooth and narrow front part that prevents thighs from rubbing against the saddle for relaxed and fun cycling. A horn on the saddle keeps you balanced from sliding forward, while a concave shape in the middle keeps you firmly in place and ensures your butt can breathe freely.
The double anti-vibration rubber ball makes the seat noiseless and shockproof. This bike seat delivers elasticity and flexibility to help prevent back pain. The tough materials from which the seat is made ensure you enjoy riding comfort for years. The BLUEWIND bike seat is easy to install and fits different seat posts. You can adjust the height and angle of the seat to ensure maximum comfort.
Women who use their bikes for commuting from one place to another should choose a comfortable seat that will ensure they enjoy the ride and avoid pains.
A great fit for your Commuter:
- Provides extra comfort for thin gel layer along the top of the saddle, especially for women.
- Wider rear than most of the typical race saddles which supports woman’s sit bones.
- Printed accent makes it noticeable.
- Flat topped shape lets you move around easily.
- Comforts the rider even when the rider is not wearing bike shorts.
- Mounting rails are not parallel with the seat surface.
- The saddle rubs on the leg side and causes chaffing which makes longer rides uncomfortable.
This Terry Butterfly bike seat is one of the best for commuting. The multi-density foam is firmer in the rear for improved pedaling efficiency and is softer towards the front to enhance comfort when cycling over long distances. The unique design is meant to offer performance and comfort. The seat is wider in the rear, a factor that provides great sit bone support for women. The mid-section has a full cutaway for reducing the pressure of soft tissue and delivering greater flexibility. This Terry Butterfly saddle has a low profile, flat-topped shape so you can move around easily when on the bike.
The FeC alloy rails on this bike seat are lightweight but stiff and durable. This helps you to maintain the right posture during your ride while promoting long-lasting use.
For road cycling/off-road riding:
Road and off-road cycling offer an amazing riding experience. If you are to enjoy this wonderful experience, you should never compromise on comfort and safety. This means choosing the right bike seat for the activity.
Our expensive choice for your Roadies:
- Tubular Vanox Rails strengthen the saddle.
- Abrasion-resistant, breathable leather keeps you comfortable, especially women.
- Silicone gel is strategically placed around the cut out to improve comfort and relieve pressure in the frontal soft tissue area.
- Carbon composite shell (10%) with built-in elastomers for reducing bumps and vibrations.
- Perineal cutout relieves pressure on the perineum.
- Saddle comes with various colors depending on women’s taste.
- Not enough padding.
- Longer “Break in” period.
This selle ITALIA Diva is known for offering superior riding comfort and performance to women. The seat cover is made of long-lasting, abrasion-resistant leather that adheres to your body and provides additional support during long rides. Comfortable silicone gel inserts have differentiated thickness and are placed strategically around the cutout. This not only helps to increase comfort but also alleviate pressure in the frontal soft tissue area. A large cutout at the center of the saddle is shaped specifically for women, helping to shift the rider’s weight for better comfort and reduced pressure on the pelvic region.
This bike seat is designed and built for uneven terrain, ensuring you remain comfortable regardless of where your riding adventures take you. The lightweight shell has a 10 percent carbon composite that ensures increased strength while promoting flexibility. Built-in elastomers absorb vibrations and bump to protect you from back pain. The tubular Vanox rails are lightweight but provide strength and sturdy performance.
Our leather choice for your Road Bikes:
- Flagship product of Brooks England. Made with 100 years’ old traditional method.
- Best choice for: long distance touring (sports/regular), MTB and trekking.
- Rails are generally made of Steel (stronger than Aluminum but heavier), Titanium (stronger and durable and also lighter).
- Copper rivets are hammered with hand.
- Varieties of colors to choose from.
- Choose only if you consider the “breaking-in” period.
- The saddle is compatible with micro-adjust seat posts.
- Takes around 200 – 300 miles of riding on it for perfect “Breaking-in”.
- Tight adjustment bolts.
- The bike seat is not waterproof.
- Expensive and need maintenance.
This Brooks England B17 bike seat is perfect for mountain bike use and long-distance touring. The design conforms to the shape of the rider’s body with a minimal break-in period required, becoming more comfortable as you keep using it. This means that you will achieve the level of comfort you desire after some period of use. The narrow shape lets you pedal comfortable and effective pedaling as well as reduce chafing on the interior of your legs. Vegetable-tanned leather is durable and has good moisture absorption to ensure comfort when riding in hot weather.
If you are a high-mileage rider, you will love the steel rails and metal hardware that provide strength and durability. The rivets keep the leather material firmly in place, so you do not slip off the seat or experience discomfort when cycling on uneven areas.
Comfortable bike seat cover:
When it comes to comfort, choosing a comfortable bike seat cover will go a long way in enhancing your riding experience. Here are two options you should consider when shopping around.
Choose this if you don’t want to change your saddle:
- Excellent choice for Spinning Bikes, Exercise Bikes and Outdoor Bicycles.
- Soft Silicone gel and stretchy Lycra material makes it durable and comfortable.
- Thin and lightweight design that will make you feel as if there is nothing covering your bike seat.
- Underside is nonslippery that helps to keep the seat cover in place.
- Company provides 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE.
- Sides of the cover are textured which causes major chafing.
- After a certain period of time the silicone gel might be shrunk or shifted due to overheat.
- Not a great choice for Peloton bikes.
This Domain Cycling seat cover is perfect for narrow bike seats. Although it is designed for indoor spin bikes, exercise bikes, and outdoor cycling, it works wonderfully for different types of bikes. The generous dimensions ensure the cover can fit most seats. Soft silicone gel and stretchy Lycra material provide comfort while keeping it thin and lightweight, so you feel like there is almost nothing on your bike seat. This saddle cover stays firmly in place and does not move to form a lump on top of the seat, allowing you to focus on your ride. Once it is pulled tight over the seat, the cover conforms to the shape of the saddle to prevent sliding and slipping off during rigorous and long rides.
The seat cover is made of premium quality materials for durability, dependability, and an amazing feel. The non-slip underside keeps the seat cover in place, helping you avoid distractions. Easy to adjust drawstrings provide added security so you can enjoy peace of mind.
Another good seat cover:
- Lycra material makes it lightweight yet durable.
- One of the most comfortable seat covers for indoor cycling because of wide gel soft pad.
- Engineered to reduce pain and soreness which makes it more comfy.
- Various colors to choose from.
- Moves on the seat no matter how tight the tension strap is.
- Can be dangerous for mountain cycling because of wiggling.
The Bikeroo Large Bike Seat Cushion is best suited for large bike seats. A wide seat gel cushion helps to eliminate pain and soreness on your back and sensitive areas so you can ride for longer. It also helps to minimize the likelihood of having prostate issues resulting from long periods of cycling. This means that you will have a better chance of enjoying outdoor rides as well as indoor cycling sessions. The seat cover comes with a high-resistant carry-on bag that lets you store it conveniently. The ergonomic design adds more padding to your seat, and the perfect fit on most wide bike saddles enhances riding comfort to ensure you do not give up riding.
Lycra material on the exterior not only makes this seat cover light and durable but also allows for easy pedaling. The soft and flexible nature of the seat cover molds on your bike saddle for maximum performance.
Buying Guide: Things to consider before buying a saddle
How to choose the most comfortable bike seat for women
While choosing the perfect women’s bike saddle is not always easy, there is definitely one out there that will suit you. In order to find the bike seat that will ensure you ride in comfort, you need to keep several factors in mind. Here are a few things to consider when choosing the most comfortable bike seat for women.
Think about the type of riding you do
Before making any decision concerning bike seats, it is important to consider the type of riding you do. Generally, bike seats are made for recreational cycling, road cycling, mountain biking, bike touring and bike commuting. Without a comfortable saddle, these types of riding can have different effects on a woman’s body, especially the soft tissues. Saddles for recreational cycling tend to have plush padding and a short nose, while those designed for road cycling are long and narrow and feature minimal padding. Bike seats for mountain biking feature padding to support a woman’s sit bones, a durable cover, and a streamlined shape. When it comes to bike touring, the best saddle should provide cushioning for your sit bones and have a narrow nose. Lastly, saddles for bike commuting should be made of weather-resistant materials and have some padding.
Shape and design
Women should take time to look at the shape and design of the bike seat they intend to buy. These two factors play an important role in determining whether the seat will provide comfort and offer the support you need. Seats should be wider towards the rear to support a woman’s sit bones and narrow towards the front so that you can pedal effectively. A narrow nose will also prevent your legs from rubbing against the seat, a factor that will reduce abrasion.
Type of cushioning
There is no doubt that cushion is an important factor when it comes to comfort for women. Apart from looking at the thickness of the padding, riders should also choose the right type of cushioning. While performance saddles tend to have minimal cushioning, cushioning saddles are plush. The most common types of cushioning are gel and foam. Gel cushioning molds to your body and provides plush comfort but gets compacted more quickly. Foam cushioning, on the other hand, springs back to shape and offers greater support than gel.
Some saddles have a center cutout, while others do not. A center cutout is designed to help relieve pressure on the pelvic area and offer protection to soft tissues. Reducing the material in the middle of the seat also provides airflow and comfort, especially during long rides. However, it is important to remember that people have different anatomies. While some riders will find relief with a cutout, others will prefer seats with a minimal indentation or none at all.
Saddles are made of different materials, making it important to pick the right material for your bike and riding activities. These materials also affect the flex, weight, break-in time, weather-proof, and cost of the seat. Some materials are also breathable and will prevent you from slipping off the saddle. Some of the options you can choose from include synthetic, leather, and cotton materials. In terms of saddle rails, steel, alloy, titanium, and carbon are the most common materials.
Get the right size
Another factor you will need to consider is whether the bike seat is the right size for your body type. For women, a good saddle should be wide enough to provide good support and accommodate their hip-width. However, it should not be so wide that it causes chafing and rubbing.
Regardless of your type of riding, you should consider choosing a saddle with shock-absorbing features. These help to dampen road shocks and bumps to ensure you can ride for hours without experiencing pain or soreness.
Women’s bike seat vs. men’s
Generally, men and women have different body shapes. This makes it important to have different bike seats for men and women. Women’s saddles tend to be wider and shorter, while men’s bike seats are long and narrow. In women’s bike seats, the pointed front part is also shorter. Although most saddles are made to reduce pressure on the perineum and ensure blood flow to the genitals, pressure on that area can cause problems in women. This is why a majority of women’s saddles have designs that help to reduce pressure. This may include cutout in the center or making that part indented.
Why women have saddle problems on the bike
Although the number of women who cycle has been increasing over the past few years, women still have saddle problems on the bike. Such challenges not only lead to discomfort and pain but could push some women to give up riding.
Most road bike saddles are designed for men, meaning that they do not take into account a woman’s anatomy. The result is that many women have a tough time getting comfortable on a bike seat that does not suit their body.
Women have a wider pelvis than men to allow for childbirth. The pelvic width of a bicycle saddle will have a huge impact on comfort when a woman is riding. If the seat does not have features meant to support a woman’s pelvis and sit bones, performance and comfort will be greatly compromised.
Why bike saddles hurt. Reasons for saddle discomfort
If women are to transform their cycling experience, it is important to understand the reasons for saddle discomfort. One of the common reasons why bike saddles hurt is because of the construction of the bike seat.
Based on a woman’s anatomy, women riders should go for bike saddles that are shorter and have a wider rear. A seat that is wider towards the rear will provide good support for the pelvis and reduce back pain. Choosing a saddle that is not designed or made for women can result in discomfort.
It is also important to buy a saddle with adequate padding, so you sit comfortable and pedal effectively. In addition, women should consider features that absorb shock to protect them from vibrations that can result in pain and discomfort.
Questions to ask before buying a bike saddle
There are several questions every woman rider should ask before buying a bike saddle. Here are a few questions to help you make the right choice.
What is the size of the bike saddle?
The size of any bike seat plays a critical role in enhancing riding comfort. While considering the size of the saddle, you should also take into account the size of your body. The size you choose will also depend on your type of riding and how much support you require when cycling.
Can you adjust the bike saddle?
When looking to buy a saddle, you should consider whether it can be adjusted. The perfect saddle height will let you cycle without shifting your weight from side to side. The right saddle fore/aft will allow you to pedal comfortably and ensure you maintain the correct body posture. The adjustment will also cover saddle tilt. You should make sure that your saddle is positioned in such a way that it is parallel to the ground.
How easy is it to install?
Apart from the various factors you need to consider, you should also find out if the saddle is easy to install. A simple and fast installation process will save you time and effort.
What can women do to get comfortable in the saddle?
One of the ways to enjoy your cycling adventures is to ensure you are comfortable whenever you are on the bike. For women to get comfortable in the saddle, they should choose a saddle designed for women, consider using cyclist shorts, fit the bike seat properly, and buy saddles with comfortable padding. Women should also check their position on the saddle to ensure they maintain the correct posture. In the end, you may want to try the different options available before making a decision.
How can you make your bike seat more comfortable?
There are a number of steps that women riders can take to make their bike seats more comfortable. Here are a few you can try.
- Get the right saddle
- Adjust the seat height and fore/aft position
- Take up the whole seat to help reduce pain and discomfort
- Use the right padding thickness
- Avoid seats that are too wide that they cause friction and chafing
- Best Brooks saddles for long touring
- Best Brooks saddles for regular/heavy commuting
- Best women’s mountain bike (MTB) saddles
- Best Road Bike Saddles for Touring and Long Rides
- Most comfortable bike seats & covers for men
- Best bike seats for big bottoms/heavy riders
Last update on 2020-01-27 at 16:04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API